Friday 15 May 2015

Australia's Jessica McKay ready to make waves in NXT

Jessica McKay
Australia may not be thought of as a booming wrestling scene, but the land Down Under has produced a number of high-level grapplers in recent years. Melbourne native Emma made her mark in NXT before heading to the main roster, while Murphy made waves earlier this year by capturing the NXT Tag Team Championship with Blake.
Now, the latest class of NXT recruits features not one, but two Aussies. Jessica McKay, a standout women’s wrestler from the independent circuit, is the first to sit down with WWE.com to talk about her road from Oz to the WWE Performance Center, and representing her country on the biggest stage in sports-entertainment.
WWE.COM: First of all, congratulations on signing with WWE.
McKAY: Thank you very much!
WWE.COM: How has it been adjusting to life in America and life at the WWE Performance Center?
McKAY: It’s been very exciting, also very nervous at the same time. I arrived in Orlando with literally two suitcases. I packed up my life into those suitcases, but it’s been amazing. I’ve adjusted to the lifestyle well. The Performance Center is amazing. The facilities are incredible, I’m training with the best coaches in the world, we have a world-class gym. I’m loving every minute of it.
WWE.COM: What’s been your favorite part so far?
McKAY: I would say meeting the coaches, because their knowledge is amazing. I’m fascinated by picking people’s brains. I love finding out new things and learning. I’m lucky to have all these people around me.
WWE.COM: What made you first want to become a wrestler? Where did you first break in?
McKAY: I first started watching when I was 10 years old. My brother and his friends were obsessed with it. They used to pack into our lounge for the pay-per-views. There were always people over watching, screaming and shouting. I remember watching it once, because my brother forced me to sit down and watch it with him, and I fell in love with it. There was something energetic about it and it captivated me. I became a massive WWE fan.
When I turned 17, I found a training school run by one of my brother’s friends, Pro Wrestling Alliance in Sydney. I started training with them as soon as they opened. Three months later, I had my first match and won, which was nice.
WWE.COM: Since then, you’ve wrestled all over the world. How have you seen women’s wrestling grow?
McKAY: It’s amazing. I think it’s the fans, they want to see more women’s wrestling, whether it’s on the independents or in the mainstream. It’s great that we’re being given opportunities to perform. When I first started wrestling, there was maybe one women’s match on a show. Now, you can go to independent shows, and there are two or three matches or segments where women are involved. I think the fans have shown interest in women wrestlers, and I’m really happy to be a part of that. I think now is the best time to be a female in wrestling, including WWE and NXT.